Gingival Hyperplasia (Gum Overgrowth)
There are several reasons that cause gum overgrowth. This is usually considered Gingival Hyperplasia.
- Gingival enlargement associated with inflammation. Periodontal disease is the most common reason for the enlargement and swelling of the gums due to plaque accumulation and improper home care.
- Gingival enlargement caused by medication. There are medications that as a side effect cause gum overgrowth.
- Calcium channel blockers
- Gingival enlargement associated with systemic medical disorders
- Hormonal (puberty), pregnancy
- Systemic issue (HIV, Diabetes, chromes disease, epilepsy)
- Nutritional deficiency such as scurry and lack of vitamin C
- Gingival enlargement associated with neoplastic disease (cancer).
- Gingival enlargement due to irritation (this is very common)
- Dentures: Epulis Fissuratum
- Orthodontic band and bracket irritation
- Oral piercing
- Gingival enlargement due to genetics
- Gingival fibromatosis
- Pfeiffer syndrome
In our office, we take the multidisciplinary approach. We work closely with medical doctors and specialists involved to better manage, prevent, and attempt to correct the condition. Gingival Hyperplasia is one of our specialties.
We help you institute a good oral hygiene program that includes proper home care and professional care. We have an excellent oral hygiene department. We pride ourselves in preventative techniques and have a lot of home care products and kits that can help improve your gum health. We teach oral hygiene effectively and help with nutritional counseling. In cases where we can accomplish the gum sculpting conservatively we use lasers, electro surgery, and/or conventional crown lengthening procedures.
In more advanced cases and systemic situations, we work closely with all specialists and medical doctors to achieve health and beauty. We pay a lot of attention to details and plan extensively to get excellent results and avoid surprises and failures.
Please call our office to make an appointment today and see what we can do for you.